Since I have the honor of having my post featured on Independence Day, I thought it would be fun to talk about some of the good points of remaining an independent physician or independent physician group.
Giving Google a quick spin on “reasons to remain an independent physician” really yields only reasons to sell your practice and become employed. One source indicated that the number of independent physicians had decreased from 57 percent down to 33 percent. Another source polled 5,012 doctors on whether or not they would consider selling their practice, and more than 40 percent of the doctors said they would sell if offered.
But, as I mentioned I would like to remind you of five of the big-picture reasons to remain independent.
1. More flexibility: You have the ability to set your hours and design a lifestyle that best suits you.
2. Being spared the politics: Smaller organizations have fewer politics driving policies, referrals, etc.
3. A greater ability to develop financial independence: You are ultimately in charge of your earning potential.
4. More control: You have the ability to remain in control of your clinic.
5. The ability to pursue your passion: You got into the doctor gig to treat patients and teach them to take better care of themselves, remaining independent allows you to find your ideal patient, cater to them, and make a difference.
Hope you and your family have a happy and safe Independence Day!