I am looking for regulations about which level of healthcare provider can administer intravenous medications. Can you help me?
Question: I am looking for regulations about which level of healthcare provider can administer intravenous medications. Can you help me?
Answer: The answer, unfortunately, is complicated.
You need to follow your state's rules on scope of service for each type of clinician in your practice. We don't track this by state, but call your state medical society and ask a very specific question - can a PA (or NP, or whomever) do this or that? If the medical society can't help, try the state board of medicine.
Here's where it gets tricky. Medicare has its own rules for reimbursement purposes. You should always start by following state laws, then move on to any additional regulations imposed by Medicare (assuming you accept Medicare patients). I'll send you straight to the horse's mouth:
1. Go to CMS' web site at www.cms.hhs.gov.
2. On the left side index, click on "Manuals."
3. Select "Internet Only Manuals."
4. Click first on "Medicare Claims Processing." Review Chapter 12, sections 110 and 120.
5. Go back and click on "Medicare Benefits Policy Manual." Review chapter 15, sections 190, 200, and 210.